The gardens of Heligan (Cornish for 'The Willows') dates back to the 12th century and are situated in a valley overlooking the historic fishing harbour of Mevagissey.
They were originally part of an estate, owned by the Tremayne family, comprising of approximately 1000 acres which stretched from Mevagissey to Gorran.
However, following the First World War, during which many of the staff lost their lives at 'Flanders', much of the garden was left relatively untouched. That is until Tim Smit had a chance meet with John Willis, the owner of the estate.
Extensive work was carried out to restore the eighty acres of gardens and today the fantastic plant collection, exotic glasshouses, and various buildings and features have all been brought back to their former glory.